Tuesday 15 November 2016

Rob Riggle served in the military for 22 years earning the rank of lieutenant colonel

     Most people know him from "The Daily Show," "21 Jump Street," or "NTSF:SD:SUV," but a select few know him first and foremost as a Marine. Rob Riggle spent over 20 years in the United States Marine Corps and has shown that the military can provide stability while helping pave the way to success. Riggle spent most of his early years in Kansas – he attended high school in Overland Park and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Theater and Film. Riggle's first military ambition was to be a pilot, but subsequently left flight school to peruse comedy. He served for nine years on active duty before going into the reserves. He became a Public Affairs Officer and was usually attached to Command Elements. Due to his occupational specialty, Riggle served with a number of different units including the 2/2, 3/8, 24th MEU SOC, 2nd MAW, CENTCOM, MTU-17, HQPA, 3rd Bat., and 5th Special Forces Group. While serving, Riggle visited Liberia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. "My military service definitely helped me understand what the military was up against in Iraq and what they were trying to accomplish. Having served in Afghanistan, I understand how difficult the mission can be," he said in a public interview set up by the Washington Post. Many celebrity veterans left their service behind once they'd found their stride, but Riggle maintained strong ties to the Marine Corps for many years. In fact, he was still a reservist while his career in entertainment gained traction. While he was acting, performing stand-up comedy, and pitching ideas to Hollywood, Riggle managed to put in the requisite time to the Marine Corps Reserves. However, on January 1, 2013, Riggle announced his retirement from the USMC. Riggle's success in entertainment hasn't diminished his standing with fellow Marines. Marines Mag, the official magazine of the USMC, conducted an interview with him that covered his time on active duty as well as his acting career: Why did you choose to serve in the Marines? I joined when I was in college, April 25, 1990. I had my pilot's license when I was in college at the University of Kansas and was able to attain a guaranteed flight contract. Along with my flight contract, I chose the Marine Corps because I believed they offered the greatest challenge. They had such a proud and amazing history… I wanted to see if I had what it took to become a Marine. How was your experience during your earlier days as a lieutenant? I went to flight school and trained as a student pilot. I was getting close to getting my wings when I made one of the most difficult decisions of my life – I decided to quit flying so I could have a chance to pursue comedy. If I had continued flying I didn't see how I would be able to take my shot at comedy. I left flight school and became a public affairs officer. I completed my ground contract and commitment and then began to pursue my dream of becoming a comedian and actor.
Share:

0 blogger:

Post a Comment

Please drop your comments